Monday 27 May 2013

La Mala Educación Spanish film review


La Mala Educación was written and directed by Pedro Almodóvar and opened the Cannes Film Festival in 2004.

Set in the 80s in Madrid, Enrique Goded, a film director, meets up with his childhood friend Ignacio Rodriguez (also his first love). Ignacio has written a book based on their days in a primary boarding school, where a priest sexually abused Ignacio. Enrique reads the script, and decides to make the film.

The action moves from the present to various stages in the past as Enrique tries to figure out what really happened between Father Manolo, the paedophile priest, and his friend Ignacio. Ignacio is a transsexual and, in a way, I was reminded of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, but the overall story is darker and more intense. A film I'd watch again, if only to piece together the real sequence of events better. And to watch the wonderful football scene again.


I bought this DVD on a recommendation from a friend as part of my Spanish language-learning journey. Pity I only have the subtitles in French!  Spanish subtitles would have been useful. I was rather surprised to see a 12 rating. I would recommend this, but not to 12 year olds due to gay sex and heroine overdose scenes.

Here's the trailer on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz2B5RL7fQQ

No comments:

Post a Comment